Wednesday, September 12, 2007

College Student Spotlight

Something came to my head today that saved me hundreds of dollars while I was in college. So, if you are a college student if you do what I am about to say you will literally save hundreds of dollars.

Most of you just bought textbooks for the upcoming semester. If you went to the on campus bookstore you ended up paying a pretty penny. However, I have a solution that will almost cut that bill in half. And the answer isn't just skipping out on buying half your books. My solution is to use www.half.com.

On there you can click on the textbooks link and type in your ISBN number. You will have to travel down to the bookstore and scout out what books you need and then write down the ISBN # (it literally takes 5 minutes).

Then just click and buy your textbooks through half.com which are normally half the price (you are buying them from other people in a secondary market). Normally shipping will take like 7-10 days so account for that when you order it (do not by it the night before you need it).

Once you get the books, if you bought the most recent version you can still sell it back to the bookstore at the end of the semester and usually the net cost is very small. Another thing that I started doing is I would by the previous version of the textbook than the current version. My senior year I literally spent like $40-$50 on my textbooks and they were the EXACT same thing as the current version. New versions might have minor changes but it was not worth spending $400-500 more on current versions of the book, I just cared about learning the material anyway.

I know school has already started so this post might be a little late, but keep this in mind for next semester.