Monday, September 24, 2007

The Unexpected

In everything in life we must account for the unexpected. I would call it foolish to not do this. Most times when we have an emergency it is a major life changing event. However, when we have not set ourselves up for success financially to get through these types of events not only do we have a major LIFE crisis, but we also have a MONEY crisis.

This adds tons of unnecessary stress that could have been avoided. The reason why I seem to be harping on the need of an Emergency Fund a lot is for a couple reasons:

1.) It is the 1st step the I advise people to do. So if you wanted to ask me what your first step to financial freedom is I would advise to save up $1,000 (basic) emergency fund or $500 if your income is under $20,000.

2.) The other reason is because I see scripture advising us in this direction. Proverbs 21:20 "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has."

It is literally foolish to devour all you have. So if you are living paycheck to paycheck and all your money comes in, then all your money goes out, scripture calls this foolish. This is why my first step is to break the chain and develop an emergency fund.