Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Planning Process

Having a plan is the most basic core principle that I try to teach. If you strip back all the practical application, all of the "theology of money," all stories or illustrations, I am basically saying to have a plan.

Tell your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.

Hopefully if you hear anything, you will hear this. Now, I am about to expand on logistical planning. Most people who know me will be surprised to hear me say this next statement but it is the truth and I don't really say it that often.

You can only plan so much.

I am serious.

There are 3 basic stages in personal finance planning:

1.) Short Term Planning
2.) Mid Range Planning
3.) Long Term

Long term planning is roughly anything over a year away. There are many things that we should be planning for that are a year away or over. An example of Long Term Planning is retirement. I think you should be planning from this and early on in fact. Another example is a new (to you) car. This will come up at some point, you might as well be prepared for it.

I also think there are things that come up within a year that you should plan for in advance; these are mid range planning items. Christmas, Birthdays, Vacations, Real Estate Taxes, etc. all fall under this. We know these things come up, we need to plan for them.

Next is short term planning. I do not want you to plan for monthly expenditures in advance. Each month is new. Each month things will change. For example my gas expense has now changed because it is football season and I go to all the Clemson games. This has increased my monthly gas expenditures a great deal, which effects my planning in other areas. Another example is you might know you need to get an oil change this next month, that changes your car maintenance category, which might change something else.

Let's say you had a friend who was about to play a game of chess. And let's say you are a chess expert and he came to you and ask for help. You would not give him step by step instructions on moves he should make. This is not a wise thing to do when playing chess because things change rapidly. The same is true with finances. You can have a basic goal/intent to take the queen or put the king in checkmate, but how you get there is a changing process.

It is a good thing to make goals and plans, but the details will be changing. It is important that we understand this so that we will not be frustrated with a process where change is inevitable.