Friday, September 14, 2007

Ways to Cut Down Your Entertainment Budget

Entertainment can be very expensive if we are not careful. I wanted to offer some great ways to spend less on this category while still having fun.

Not so much Traveling
This one hurts me because I love driving and more than that, I love driving to Braves games. I am a huge fan and I try to find good deals on eBay for tickets. While I figure I am saving money on tickets that most people would spend, I am killing a ton of money on gas to get there and back. Traveling really is a sneaky way to creep up your expenses and then when you look at your bank account balance you wonder where your money went.

Find Alternative Sources of Entertainment
I know quite a few people who have joined an ultimate frisbee league which is a great way to be entertained while not spending a lot of money. I also have friends who have a basketball night where they all get together on a certain night of the week or on Saturday morning and play. When you find things to do with friends and loved ones like these options you will feel no need to go out and spend a large amount of money on ways to entertain yourself.

Cancel some Memberships
Lots of people have gym memberships or other types of revolving expenses that they hardly ever use. This is sucking a good amount of money up. Most of the time you have signed up for a lot of little monthly fee type things which add up when put all together. If you go to a gym, health club, country club, or other service only once a week, chances are you are not getting your money's worth out of it.

Lower your Cable Package
I know this is crazy talk but I am serious. Most cable companies will have a low end basic cable package that usually cost a significant amount less. I know we are living in a world of HD, DVR, and premium packages and everything has to be HD but it is worth a thought. I am not saying you are irresponsible if you have a big cable package; I am just throwing out an idea for it in case it sticks somewhere.

Newspaper/Magazine Subscriptions
I am guy that LOVES sports. And I love reading/watching/talking about sports all the time. Therefore, I used to have a subscription to Sports Illustrated, Sporting News, and ESPN the magazine. The problem is that I never really read them. I looked through them, read some blurbs here and there but I realized that I needed to cancel. This took a good shot to the pride because I am a man and men read Sports, but I am glad I am saving that $10-$15 a month now.

Use the Library
The library is freakin awesome. I love books (more like books on tape), I love movies, and I love free. Did you know the library has all 3? I suggest to use this amazing service that we are given by the state.

Anyway, there are tons of ways to keep our entertainment seeking hearts occupied without spending a ton of money. The key is to just make a little effort and it will go a long way. If you end up cutting down on movies and dining out you will more than likely save a LOT of money.