Friday, August 3, 2007

Gut Check Time

Recently I have been thinking about my principles on personal finances because I am preparing to teach a two week Financial Class on October 21 and 28. (Click contact me if you want more information on this) These are 3 questions that I had to ask myself, that I encourage you to ask yourself to examine your financial health.

1.) Is there anything in my finances that if made public would discredit me?

If your financial records suddenly became public, is there anything you are doing that would make you embarrassed? You know what that is and chances are you need to cut it out of your life. This rings true especially if you are a Christ Follower. It may be your $400+ monthly eating out expense when you say you have a heart for the poor. Money is an indicator of our heart, the tough thing is that it is so easy to keep it private. I encourage you that if there is something in your financial life that if brought to light would be a negative representation of you, to cut it out.

However, this is just a symptom of a bigger issue. If you are not content in every situation in life you will always have these type issues being brought up. Cutting out something of your life is behavior modification and will probably be brought up again. Praying and working on being content because God has given you so much already is the solution. That is not an overnight thing, that takes perseverance and time.

2.) What am I doing right now that will make me be where I want to be financially a year from now?

I know a lot of us say, "we are going to save money when this changes" or perhaps we say, "once that thing goes away I will spend less." Whatever reason (cough, excuse) we might be telling ourselves, the better question is what am I actually doing? Am I making steps to be where I want to be?

One of my goals has always been making my money work for me so I wouldn't HAVE to (I would still WANT to because I love working at what I am passionate about; I would just do it for free now). I want my "alternative income stream" to be larger than my expenses. What I qualify as alternative income is anything that I don't go to a job for. This could be interest earned, dividends, rental income, or any type of income stream that doesn't require me to "go into work for." This is a lot longer than a goal than one that can be achieved a year from now. But I honestly have to ask myself, if this is a goal then what steps am I or have I taken towards it.

3.) Am I increasing in generosity?

It doesn't matter if you follow Christ or not, you have to be increasingly generous. I believe that it is truth that the love of money is a slippery slope that can ruin a persons life. In fact, it is cool that I am writing about this today because I just read 1 Timothy 6 this morning. (Fresh Bread)

1 Timothy 6:9 "People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction."

I believe that God created our hearts and through his divine word he is warning us about money. It is a blessing to have money and in that same chapter (1 Tim 6:17) scripture says that God richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Now, right before that is says do not put your hope in wealth but hope in God and they go together. What I am saying is, it is okay to enjoy blessings from God (after tithing, basic needs, and generosity of course) as long as you put your hope in God and not in wealth. I am not using that scripture as justification for being greedy so please don't hear me wrong.

But to get back on track, generosity is key to keeping our hearts in check so that we won't fall into ruin and destruction like 1 Timothy 6:9 talks about.

Those are 3 questions that you can ask yourself that will help examine if you are on track to being financially healthy.