Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Insurance: So easy a caveman can do it...

So in my young life I have not had the pleasure of dealing with medical insurance a great deal. But in such a short time I feel like I have learned the hard way.

I consider insurance (along with an emergency fund) to be a foundational block of your financial picture. However, now I realize that it is not only important to HAVE inusrance, but you have to UNDERSTAND your insurance.

I knew I had dental so I scheduled an appointment. My insurance covers 100% of reasonable costs. I ended up learning the hard way that my insurance didn't cover the whole amount from this dentist and I ended up having to shell out some major money that I wasn't expecting.

If you have some type of medical appointment make sure you request for them to pre-qualify their expenses with your insurance company in advance. This is a must, especially if this is a new dentist or doctor you are going to.