Wednesday, August 1, 2007

What You Don't Know CAN Hurt You

I used to believe that what I didn't know, could not hurt me. In fact, I told my friend Jon this many times when discussing "rules" for us to live by while living in the same house.

To give more life to this, I did not want Jon using certain things. For example I did not want anyone to sit on or put stuff on my bed (pet peeve...don't know why, I just don't like it). Along with me telling Jon that these are my wishes I told him, "But...what I don't know can't hurt me." If I get home and my bed is all messed up, I now know and we have a problem. But if I truly do not know and do not find out, there is no way it can hurt me.

This was my motto for roommates for many years. However, I now believe it to NOT be true in all cases and will never use it again.

If you do not KNOW where you money is going, it WILL hurt you. It is so simple, yet the hardest thing for us in America to grasp. Your income MUST be greater than what you spend. There is no gray area. It is not calculus or trigonometry, it is addition and subtraction. If you are reading this blog you need to KNOW a budget or it WILL hurt you.

You might be saying, “I don’t need a budget.” I know from experience that if you are broke or are stuck in a trap of all the money coming in then going out like a whirlwind, the way to get out is through the introduction of a monthly budget. Once you do this you are actually able to give more than you ever thought possible, save more than you ever thought possible, and will be able to utilize your income to do something besides PAY BILLS!!

You have to KNOW how much you have coming in (Income). And now you have to KNOW what is going out (Expenses). If you do not know this it WILL hurt you; there are too many hurting people out there for me to think otherwise anymore.

If you need help with setting up a preliminary budget and need someone on your team, e-mail me. Click the contact me link on the tool bar.